Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Puttenahalli residents sceptical of development works

`I am sure the place will be flooded again'

The Hindu

Puttenahalli residents sceptical of development works


BANGALORE: Puttenahalli was one of the worst-affected areas due to rains last year. Though the authorities of the Bangalore Mahanagara Palike claim they are ready with a contingency plan to deal with any eventuality this year, the people in the area are sceptical about it. According to them, there have been no development works in the amenities in the area and the drainage system has remained the same.

"Last year, my shop in Puttenahalli was flooded. I had nowhere to go, because the shop was my bread and butter. I don't see any change this year as well. The drainage system here has remained the same. I am sure the water will get in with more force once the rains begin. For now, I have deal with the dust kicked up by the heavy vehicles on the untarred road outside my shop," says Ravi S., a shopkeeper.

Kumar Sanjay, a software employee, says: "Fortunately, I have my house on the first floor. I did not face the problem of water entering the house, while those on the ground floor did. My only concern is getting good drinking water from the nearby borewell. When it rains, the water floods even this place."

Ammukannamma, a housewife, said: "Roads here have not been repaired for years. All the roads were blocked, drains clogged during the last rains. Commuting has become a nightmare. On top of it all, we have to bear with the mosquito menace as well. I fear the situation will be much worse this year. I wish the authorities had taken some action to correct last year's wrongs."

A retired private factory employee, Nanjundaswamy, says: "Weeds have engulfed the Puttenahalli lake. I am certain the lake water will enter the layouts and flood the houses this year as well. There is no one to ask about these things. The Chief Minister visited this place and left. Nothing much happened after his visit. At least, they could have developed the lake and maintained it properly. That would have avoided the floods."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home