Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's my Lalbagh

It's my Lalbagh

Bangalore's glitterati tell Shruti Goutham and Sunayana Suresh why they want the authorities to leave their green heritage untouched

Shruti Goutham and Sunayana Suresh



I'll stop them, Pooja Gandhi
They should not cut down trees in Lalbagh. How can one think of such a move? We've only a few remaining gardens left in this city. And a place as beautiful like Lalbagh, which is the reason for this city's amazing weather, cannot be tampered with. I am not going to keep quiet about this. We need to stop this atrocity as quickly as possible.

Memories can't die, Rakshita
Lalbagh is not just a garden for a Bangalorean. It is a part of some fabulous memories. I, too, am one such who has some amazing memories of my father and me walking through the garden and connecting. Memories aren't meant to be destroyed. Instead, they should be kept with utmost care.

can't mow it down, Bhavana Rao
Lalbagh is nothing less than a heritage site in the city. I wish we could positively do something about it being mowed down to make way for the Metro. We can always shift it to another location. I, for one, will not keep quiet if more walls and trees are broken down. I will stand in front of the bulldozer and ensure that no one can mow down this city's most sacrosanct garden.

We will protest, Prasad Bidapa
I'm appalled at the way the authorities have gone ahead and broken down a section of the garden. It is because of moves like these that this city, one romanticised for its beautiful climate, is now so hot. We cannot sit down. We need to protest, and ensure our voices are heard loud and clear.

Work around it, Zoheb
There is always a possibility of working around it. With the pollution levels already soaring, we need to plant more trees and not uproot the existing one's and that too those in Lalbagh. All I can do is educate those I know about the importance of trees and take up a planting drive. The politics behind a project of this kind, will surely not allow us to do anything more.

Let us Chipko, Roshan Issac
I was a part of the protest held a few days ago. It is time for people to come together and mobilise a movement on a large scale. We need a non-violent but effective protest, similar to the Chipko movement in the 1970s, where peasant women literally hugged trees to prevent them from being cut.Hug them to save them, Aindrita Ray
This is simply unbelievable. Take a walk down MG Road, and any old Bangalorean will see the sea change. We don't want the same thing happening to any other road, and definitely not Lalbagh. We're called the Garden City, but other cities seems more environmentally inclined than us. It's high time someone understood the gravity of this problem and curbed this. I won't let my Lalbagh to be broken down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home