Friday, July 13, 2007

BMTC’s not-so-‘Smart’ Card

BMTC’s not-so-‘Smart’ Card
Friday July 13 2007 11:14 IST

BANGALORE: The much tom-tommed ‘smart card’ for students, issued recently by the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), has sired more chaos than order.

Branded first in India, the smart card was defined as the ultimate user-friendly pass. The photograph, for instance, cannot be tampered with. But the trouble is that the picture for the pass is taken by a webcam at the BMTC counters. This results in delay in the issuing of passes.

"Introducing smart cards may be a smart attempt. But the corporation should have thought of the delay in taking snap by webcam. Let them give a temporary paper card till they issue the smart card," Balakrishna, a cab driver said.

"My son is now buying regular tickets everyday because of the delay in getting the smart card and I can not really afford it," he added.

Nancy Khanna, a second year B.Com student in Mount Carmel has a different experience.

"Even though I stay in Sunkadakatte, I was made to go to R T Nagar to get the bus pass form," Nancy said. First, she went to Kempegowda Bus Station (KBS). The application forms are issued class-wise.

"As I am in the second year, I was told to wait for a few days to get the application form. If I wanted it earlier, I was advised to go to Shivajinagar. At Shivajinagar, the officials informed me that they do not have the machine. Another advice: Go to R T Nagar."

Finally after filling up the application form, I was directed again to RT Nagar. "My house and R T Nagar are in two different directions. Wearied, I have not submitted my form yet. I have to board two buses to reach my college. Everyday two-way ticket cost a lot of money," Here is another harrowing tale of a college girl.

An engineering student, Deepa’s examinations will get over on Friday and the pass has proved a puzzle.

"Our college will re-open in September. BMTC issues annual pass from June to April. However, semester students are also made to take the annual bus pass. This means, we are paying for two months for nothing," she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home