Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bundh: Harrowing time for travellers

Bundh: Harrowing time for travellers
Deccan Herald


It was a difficult day for those oblivious travellers who were caught off-guard on Wednesday, as they were left stranded in bus stops and railway platforms, thanks to the Karnataka bundh that was called by various Kannada activists.

One could see frustration clearly written on faces of weary travellers, who had nowhere to go, but to sit and kill time on the platforms.

Hopeless travellers


Mr Cooper, who had paid Rs 250 to get to the City railway station, smiled at his own plight. “I caught an auto at 4 am in the morning to get here from Queen’s Road. I knew there would be no autos or buses after 6 am. So I have been sitting here waiting for my train, which is scheduled to arrive at 3.15 pm,” he said.

For out-station travellers, the scenario was even worse. “We arrived from Hyderabad at around 10 am in the morning. Eversince, my husband has been trying to get tickets for us to go to Kannur. Now while that problem is solved, we have to wait here till 6 pm with no food,” said Mrs Lasitha, adding that they had to make do with biscuits and fruits till 6 pm in the evening. Mr Benjamin George came to the City to pay his daughter’s fee. “I went straight to Hennur in an auto paying Rs 300. I saw my daughter for ten minutes, gave her the money, and left for the railway station to get back to Thiruvananthapuram. Apart from riding in an auto for three kilometres, I hitch hiked with six different people to get here.” Mr George’s train was at 9.55 pm in the night.

Weary BSF cadet

The scenario was no different at the KSRTC bus stop. Unhappy news awaited Govindraju, a BSF cadet from Jammu, who eagerly came to the City on a holiday. “I was so eager to meet my parents. Now I can see my mother only late in the night, as the buses to Hassan are said to arrive only after 6 pm. I am tired, hungry, and disappointed that one more day is wasted.”

Thrilled citizen

In contrast to the City market bus stop, Majestic bus stand saw several commuters, whose will was not to be bent. Mrs Sudha, a State government employee was all but thrilled to have walked on deserted streets. “It took me just half-an-hour to walk from Cunningham Road. I have been waiting for Vijayanagar buses for over an hour. If I don’t get any, I am more than happy to walk from here again, as Bangalore has never been so quiet and safe in a long time now,” she added.

FANCY FARES

*City railway and bus stands deserted.

*Passengers arriving from outside Karnataka had no clue about the bundh. *Auto drivers were seen demanding ‘fancy’ fares.

*No eatables were available in and around railway and major bus stands till 6 pm.

*Railway ticket cancellation increased from an average 22 % to 28%.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home