Tuesday, June 24, 2008

This man revolutionised travel on BMTC

This man revolutionised travel on BMTC
BY S.M. SHASHI PRASAD
BENGALURU




Exactly a year ago, a conductor working with Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) came up with the idea of having a library, drinking water, newspapers and magazines for commuters on his route bus.

This became a major hit among the commuters of the ‘Pushpak’ bus, route number 252 — plying from Peenya II stage to Majestic.

Even the department as well as the commuters chipped in to support D.S.

Srikanth, the conductor who came up with the novel idea.

Considering the popularity among the commuters and dedication shown by the conductor, the BMTC has transferred the conductor with hardly four years of experience on the new route to Devanahalli Airport from ITPL on a Volvo bus.

“I am planning to introduce the mobile library concept in the Volvo too. This time I want to make it big by installing a mini-fridge, so that the commuters can drink cold water during summer. Apart my favourite Kannada books and literature, I will be including international news magazines and most of the popular daily newspapers,” said Srikanth.

A software engineer, Chetan N., has assured Mr Srikanth of his support by paying the with the subscription of newspaper and magazines for at least three years.

The experiment has led volunteer bus drivers from other divisions, to seek Mr Srikanth’s help to start their own. A KSRTC bus in Hassan division is replicating the idea of mobile library for commuters, who are mostly villagers, on the route.

Most of the people from nearby villages who frequent the KSRTC bus which travels everyday from Hassan to Holenarasipura are also supporting the idea and offering financial assistance.

Mr Chetan, working with ASL Advance Systems, said, “I met the conductor and I was thrilled to learn about his mobile library. So I decided to help him with the subscription of newspapers and magazines. I am looking in to the possibility of how corporate people and other colleagues of mine can assist him in his adventure.

“Our job is a monotonous one and from the beginning my career, I wanted to do something different. With the help of my senior colleagues and higher officers in the department who have been supporting in all my endeavours, I was able to do this in the past and I hope the support continues,” said Mr Srikanth.

Speaking to this newspaper, BMTC chief traffic manager (operation), Dastagir Sheriff said that the department has always supported and appreciated such voluntary experiments.

“The conductor had done a wonderful job in the past by setting up a mobile library, which was appreciated by all my seniors. If he is willing to replicate the same on his new route, the department would definitely support in its own way,” said Mr Sheriff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home