Sunday, January 29, 2006

I will prove that my father was never anti-IT: Kumaraswamy

I will prove that my father was never anti-IT: Kumaraswamy
New Indian Express

BANGALORE: For to be chief minister H D Kumaraswamy, administration may be new.

But, he is confident of handling the things. While chatting with mediapersons after being invited by the Governor to form new coalition Government, Kumaraswamy said that his aim was to work towards development.

“I want to disseminate the notion that my father was anti-development and anti- IT&BT. Besides, he said that there was a need to re-define the terminology--secular'.

Excerpts of the interview

Q : What will be your priorities as a Chief Minister?

A : Basically, it is good governance and creating a good atmosphere for development.

We have to take a lot of welfare measures to help the poor and ensure that the programmes reached the needy.

Q : But development needs good infrastructure

A : That is the reason for the fall of Dharam Singh Government. We will ensure good infrastructure to all citizen, both in Bangalore, other cities as well as in rural areas.

When my father raised certain questions regarding some of the projects, he was branded as anti-development, anti-IT&BT.

I will work to disseminate that mis-information campaign against him. We will take up the infrastructure projects on war footing.

We will ensure that it should be economically viable and serve the purpose for people. However, there will be no wasting of time on debating the issues and we will take IT and BT industry into confidence.

Q : Will this include the proposed Bangalore Metro project?

A : Yes. It includes all the developmental projects and we are also examining the Tamil Nadu Government's 450 kms of mono-rail project. The projects should not cause inconvenience to the people, while implementing them.

I have dreams of giving best infrastructure to Bangalore, but cannot compare with other countries and promise something, which I cannot do.

Q : What you have to offer to the rural sector?

A : We are going to continue with pro-farmer and pro-rural programmes like farm loan at six per cent, Yeshaswini, food grains at subsidised price.

There is a need to strengthen ‘Stree Shakti’ and also the cooperatives to help rural people.

Q : Do you foresee any problem from new partners to ‘secular credentials’ of the party?

A : There is a need to re-define the terminology called ‘secular’. We are not going into the details of caste, creed or religion, when taking up welfare programmes. But, we will take care that we will not hurt the sentiments of any community.

I know that there are some ‘tickling issues’. But, we are forming coordination committee and preparing a Common Minimum Programme (CMP) for the Government. We will work within the framework of the CMP.

Q : Family matter seems to be unsettling

A : Yes. I had to take hardest decision of my life to save my party. My father spoke of ‘Karma’ that made him undergo such a trauma at the fag end of his political career. I believe that same ‘Karma’ makes him realise that I have taken a right step.

I will work towards making him feel proud of me. I think, it is a matter of time before the family issues settle down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home