Saturday, November 29, 2008

Contractor assures BMRC of work completion by June 2010

Contractor assures BMRC of work completion by June 2010
By S Praveen Dhaneshkar,DH News Service,Bangalore:
Following reports of an inordinate delay in the Namma Metro works on the seven km stretch of Reach One (Chinnaswamy Cricket Stadium to Baiyappanahalli), the contractor entrusted with the construction of piers and viaducts (Navayuga Engineering) has given a fresh assurance to the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) of completing the work by June 2010.

However, the extension of the Bangalore Metro Rail Project (North-South) that was approved by the State government in October will be completed in 2012.
The extension runs from Yeshwantpur to Hesarghatta Cross in the north and Jaraganahalli in the south.
Officials in BMRCL said the assurance comes in the wake of a tardy progress of ground work on many stretches of Reach One. “The earlier deadline for completion of works was January which has been extended by six months with instructions to complete within the fresh time line” added sources.
BMRC Managing Director N Sivasailam had earlier told this paper that 30 percent of the project construction is over, with the remaining 70 percent expected to be completed on time.
The project construction commenced in January 2007.
Meanwhile, the BMRCL is expected to announce the consortium selected to begin construction for the metro stations at Halasur and CMH Road in the first week of December, followed by the Old Madras Road station. Construction of these stations is expected to be completed in 22 months, from commencement.
Lowest bid
The BMRCL is also expected to announce the selected consortia to build/manufacture the rolling stock (coaches) for the metro.
Sources told Deccan Herald the Bangalore based public sector giant, Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) led consortium, that includes Rotem and Mitsubishi has offered the lowest bid. “BEML has however quoted Rs 250 crore more than what it had offered to the DMRC (Delhi Metro Rail Corporation) for manufacture of rolling stock.” informed officials.
The selected bidder is likely to be announced during the third week of December, after further evaluation of prices quoted and the ability of the company to deliver the goods on time. Construction of new housing blocks for the rehabilitation of slum dwellers of the Basaveshwara Nagar and Jai Bhim Nagar slums at Peenya and Magadi Road that have begun are expected to be completed in April 2009.
BMRC has acquired land in these areas for the metro rail project.


Post a Comment

<< Home