Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Live bomb reignites Friday scare

Live bomb reignites Friday scare
DH News Service, Bangalore:
Even before the drama unleashed by Friday's serial blasts could die down, a live bomb at Madivala Junction sent the Bangalore police into a tizzy on Saturday morning.

Under intense pressure after the eight serial blasts, the police breathed free only after the bomb was defused before it could cause any damage. High drama ensued at the junction on Hosur Road near The Forum mall. Fully equipped with anti-explosive devices and apparel, the bomb disposal squad were at the spot soon after the police received an alert.

The police were on high alert, and didn’t want a repeat of Friday’s blasts that killed a woman and injured seven others.

Camouflaged as a pot, the deadly explosive was spotted about 200 meters away from the mall, next to a makeshift tea stall and adjacent to the KEB quarters wall. The police were alerted at around 10:45 am by a makeshift tea stall vendor.

Seeds of suspicion
The vendor claimed that he saw a person in his mid-twenties and sporting a red T-shirt placing a suspicious looking bucket-like object at the junction before taking to his heels.

A few wires sprouting out of the object, sowed seeds of suspicion in the vendor. Soon the men in uniform were all over the place. Police Commissioner Sha-nkar Bidari stood patiently and watched the entire proceedings. He confirmed later that the bomb comprised a microchip, detonator, chemicals, electrical wires, timer and oil packed and sealed in a small bucket-shaped cement pot. Friday’s bombs too had used similar material. The Commissioner said the police had some definite leads and were working on them.

Tension, curiosity
For onlookers and the weekend crowd that had started gathering at the mall, the bomb was cause for big concern and curiosity.

After all, Hosur Road had been in the eye of the terror scare on Friday with five of the eight explosions being reported either on the road or off it.

A huge crowd had assembled and a big posse of mediamen were at the site before a crack team of the National Security Guard (NSG) arrived to dismantle the bomb. Amid mounting tension, the NSG personnel went about their task. One of them, suitably armoured for the task, inched closer, even as the crowd looked on from a distance.

Once he defused the bomb, the crowd broke into whistles and cheers. The celebrations had to be regulated by a mild lathicharge by the men in khaki.


Post a Comment

<< Home